From: Chris Bennett [mailto:scirocco16vr32@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 12, 2006 11:36 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: SPAM-LOW: 85 Ran good for a while

Sigh...

Camidge in Newport News did wonders for the time and money I tell you.
 He fixed the no start thing and also got that damn water light to stop
blinking.  I had just put a new (stock) 16v muffler on this thing--last one
was brand new and hit something in the road, put a dent in the can and made
a GAWD AWFUL racket.  So I get a brand new muffler and put it on and guess
what?

On my way up to PA, doing a 90 cents to a buck or so, and I hit a pretty
good dip before an overpass bridge.  With the H+R sports I am dropped an
inch and a half, and I bottomed out.

Engine got REALLY loud and I smelled something like a cross between "hot
clutch", "essence of gear oil" and "powdered catalyst".  Last time I smelled
the powdered catalyst was when the cat was liberated of said catalyst.  I
pulled over and got on the ground and it appears my exhaust has seperated
partially just after the cat.  Since I don't have a resonator anymore it's
pretty much straight pipe to there, or is the resonator after the cat?  I
forget.  I checked the tranny and everything else and nothing else seems to
be damaged.  I popped the hood and couldn't smell anything there.

Anyone know of a good muffler shop near Allentown?  It's really loud and
isn't there something about lack of backpressure being BAD for the engine?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

--
85 Scirocco 16v (conversion) Burgundy