From: Cory Langford [mailto:Cory_Langford@bcit.ca]
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 8:16 PM
To: 'Scirocco-L'
Subject: SPAM-LOW: Tranny Dif problems. Help??

Well,

Last few weeks I have been hearing a "thump, thump" from the pass side
front. It is in perfect sync with the rotation of the wheel.  When you rev,
it does not follow the engine, but follows the road speed.

So first thought was that the tire was low or threw a weight.  so Checked
the air, and all is good.  had the tire rebalanced.  Still same sound.

Next thought was the front bearing.  But usually I find bearings whine, not
thump. Last weekend I popped up the car and the bearing seems fine.  No
crunching, nice smooth travel when you spin the hub. No play up and down in
the knuckle.

Today the noise is getting pretty bad. Jacked up the car to have another
look around and discovered that I can move the left drive shaft around quite
a bit.

The flange on the tranny moves a whole lot, compared to the other tranny in
the mk2.

so question is:  is there something I can fix in the drive flange that will
correct the issue, or do I have to pull the tranny and take it apart?

IE: Is there a bearing that wears out right at the flange?

I suspect you are not supposed to be able to wiggle the flange up and down
about a 1/2 an inch or more.

TIA
 Cory