Killing rust

Hummm. Most of the rust is being cut out at least an inch from major rust and newer metal welded back in. This time I am not over lapping, but edge to edge sheetmetal welding.
But, under neath the lip of the rain tray has a bit of surface rust where the paint is stripping away. As Ren & Stimpy used to say "Ack Barf"
What happens to the acid when applied to a light surface rust? Does it need to be cleaned off? I could buy that stuff locally.