[16v] Should these be connected?

http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Nate/DSC05902.JPG
http://scirocco.dyn.dhs.org/vw/list/Nate/DSC05905.JPG

2 male/female connectors, on the drivers side of the head, right above
the transmission.  They were zip tied to each other, and it looks like
they haven't been connected for a long time.

Last time I worked on my car, it started and drove (poorly).  Today, it
wouldn't start at all, and Iim sure I have the mixture so whacked it may
never start again.  I did manage to flood it a couple times, leaned the
mixture to full lean (of course I forgot to count how many turns it
was), richened it up 22 turns, thought that was WAY too many, leaned it
out again, flooded it, and went inside.

That's my progress (natch) for today.

Ugh.

Nate