Another VW

Rhett,
You might want to check the cable at the very end it connects to the clutch
lever.  There should be a rubber spacer tht is pretty thick about 1/2" or
more.  Sometimes when people redo these they don't put that in there.  That
would take up quite a bit of slack.  Check out the attachment kit on this
page: http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Scirocco/Clutch/39/2