85 in the ER!!! (So is my wallet)

Well last few days have been a pain in the ass.

I loaned the 85 out to a buddy from out of town.  He's been driving it
for a month or two now and it has died.  I won't go into the details
of how I found out but it was a real Halmark moment when base police
called and said they were going to tow my "abandoned" car.

So anyway.  No spark.  The fuel pump runs intermittantly--I was told
this was dependent on spark...  I bought a cap and rotor and a set of
plugs as I don't really remember when I did this one last.  I am all
for going the easiest and cheapest route.  I know it was tuned up in
the last year I am thinking it was just before Cincy.

That didn't work.  Made a few calls... tried to follow the Bentley.
Bought an entire distributor as it was pointed out that the hall
sender is usually the culprit.  (Hall sender on an 85?!?  Oh yea in
case you don't know this is a 16v conversion from about 6-7 years
back.)  I had one go bad before and yea that sounded right.  $160
later I have a new distributor and NO spark.  Well new parts can't
HURT the situation--so be it.  Yes I bought Bosch.

So I sent it to the closest mechanic... Who could NOT find the problem
and charged me 80 bones to determine that it was a "wiring issue".  I
said fine show me the bad wire... but I lost that arguement.

Then I had it towed to Camidge in Newport News.  Older guy privately
owned... does NOTHING but VW's why didn't I find this guy like a year
ago.  He's good.  The towtruck driver tipped me off.  He has had it
for two full days and found a bad wire in the harness coming from the
hall sender.  He spliced in a new wire and it runs good now.

He only charged me three hours labor, and I know that he put 10+ into it.

(sorry I began this yesterday and I am finishing now.)

Sigh.  She's jealous... the 85 is.  She heard about the Callaway.  Who told?

Chris

--
85 Scirocco 16v (conversion) Burgundy
87 Scirocco 16v Tornado Red