PSA - check your boots.

Well - the lesson I learned this weekend is to check your boots (sttering
rack and CV) and replace them pronto if they're split or cracked.
Once while poking around under my car, Dan Bubb noticed I had a completely
useless steering rack boot, and that the inner ends of the tie rods were
pretty worn.
So he and I finally get around to replacing them.  Upon further inspection,
it wasn't the tie rods that were bad - my steering rack was totally shot.
Oodles and boatloads of grit and grime had worked their way into the rack,
creating an enormous amount of wear. The internal bushings were shot.  There
was a definite amount of movement (and a 'clunk) as the steering rack would
shift around. On the side with the worthless boot, when the inner part of
the steering rack would move out, you could see all kinds of grooves worn
into it. *sad face*
So we changed gears.  One lightly used steering rack, my new tie rods and
boots, and a  LOT  of oil/grit/sludge later (my car will NEVER rust!) I have
a new steering rack.
The plus is a more direct steering feel.
The moral of the story is to check your boots.  Replace your CV joint boot
with some ducttape, a plastic bag, and zipties if you have to.  Replace
them!  Don't be like me!

Thanks to Dan Bubb for his help (he did most of it) and the parts.

GP
--
84 Scirocco Wolfsberg - The Red Baron aka Weekend FunWagen
91 Jetta - Still needs a name aka DailyBattleWagen