Can we design and build a bio-diesel electric hybrid scirocco?

  Brendan Doyle <lord_verminaard@yahoo.com> wrote:     Would be an interesting project. The VW 1.2L TDI 3-banger would be a good
engine for this purpose. That engine in the 3L Lupo has set fuel economy
records all over the place, including being the first european car to
travel 100 km (62 miles) on 3 liters (.79 gallons) of fuel. I think I
read somewhere that it was the first car to break 100 mpg during normal
road travel at posted speed limits as well. Sure, it's NOT a hybrid, but
the engine is small enough and powerful enough (61 hp 103 ft-lbs) that it
might be a good place to start with a bio-electric hybrid.

Brendan

That sounds great! I hadn't heard of the 3-cyl TDI powerplant until now.  Yeah one of those up front, an adequate electric powerplant in back, a battery pack that's modern and light instead of a bunch of HEAVY old style lead acid batteries. We'll have to think about braking and suspension as well as weight distribution and power management then it's on to aerodynamics, aesthetics and comfort.  We can certaily design all this on paper/computer then build it later. We could have a high milege, low emission set up that could be easily placed into most A1 and maybe even A2 VW models.
  Heck it might even have some pep.

     Behrle