  From: Daun Yeagley
  To: LEF ; scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:41 AM
  Subject: Re: Is the 16V an interference engine??

  --- LEF <rocco16@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

  > My 16V cam belt stripped its teeth yesterday.
  > Am I looking at replacing just the belt, or most of the
  > valves, too??

  As was stated, it is an interference engine.  (When was the
  last time you changed the belt???)

  I've seen 16v engines lose the belt and do NO damage, other
  times they've bent 'most every intake valve and crack a
  piston.

  Inspection is going to be the only way you'll know for
  sure.

  Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
  '80 Scirocco                 '81 Scirocco S 16v to be?
  '86 Scirocco 8v              '88 Scirocco 16v
  '88 Scirocco Slegato (Gino!) '96 Passat GLX Wagon
  '56 Cessna 172