Is the 16V an interference engine??

IIRC, you're still running a 1.8L 16v, Larry? I have a different take - use the
opportunity to drop a 2.0 in there. Source a good used one - you can take the
frugal route and drop it in there (which would cost you about the same as the
head rebuild you'd be facing if you bent any valves (pistons are a different
story)) or rebuild/recondition it and have peace of mind for years to come
(hopefully).

HTH, JT