From: Phil Boeye [mailto:roccophil@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:03 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Mars Gets An Antique Registration

On 6/13/06, Spewey <spewey@comcast.net> wrote:

> But you just can't get away with driving Collector plates every day
> around here.  If you can where you are, great!  But the disclaimer of
> "check laws in your area" is pretty important before you act like it's
> the greatest thing since disposable razors.  Did you know the North Pole
> was only discovered in 1831?

Well, let me explain something - for me, it IS !!  Not only are my
tank-armor antique plates stylish on my Mk1 and looking waaaay better
than any normal state tag (plus the awesome mount setup that I
created), they afford me the following:

In VA, we get $15 annual inspections (which I am all for normally,
although a PITA).  However, for this Mk1 I will *never* have to set up
an inspection appointment.  I can't tell you how annoying it is being
single and having to get four cars inspected, much less FIVE.

We also pay yearly county property tax on our cars.  Except the ones
registered as antiques.  So again - no hassle.  Albeit that it costs
more to go to a movie and get popcorn/soda than it does to pay annual
county property tax on ANY Scirocco by itself.  Pfft!, so that isn't
such a big gain!

But the 'no inspection' thing is awesome, and I love that.  Also, no
stupid county/inspection stickers on my car.

So there are probably various benefits in each state to such a license
plate registration.  Question is, do they mean anything to you and are
you willing to deal with the restrictions that they legally place upon
your Scirocco?  For me in regards to the Mk1, which will undergo a
massive, expensive restoration, the answer is absolutely YES.  She can
sit out and look relatively purdy or ugly and missing items and it
doesn't matter - no inspection.  I have a few others I can zoom around
town in anyways.  No big deal.

But I think for many of us, it bears looking online at the local
DMV/MVA or whatever regulations/restrictions to see what you might
possibly be missing.