Cincy pics-need scanning/photoshop help

Hey. I'm trying to get my pictures ready to burn, I'm at a bit if a
disadvantage due to many of them being on film, which involves scanning
proir to the burn, SO I have some nice 8X10 images, and when I scan them
they come out vertical becuase they don't fit in the scanned bed any other
way. But when I send them, I'd rather they be rotated 90*. This does not
sound like a problem, but whenever I put images into Photopaint (like
Photoshop) I get a marked change in the image. I scanned at 300 dpi, and
have told Photopaint to use 300dpi resolution, but the resulting image is
still very pixellated. So what am I doing wrong? Obviously the program is
defaulting to something that reduces image quality. So what should I be
changing? I suck at digital darkroom. :(

All I want to do is rotate that damned thing....it shouldn't be that hard

Cathy