Alternator questions?

Just quickly to interject here..... Have you looked at the brushes on the Alternator. Many times those are the corporates in low amperage and they are ussually a much easier and definetly much cheaper replacement. Check that before you start trowing money on the firre....Oh and one more thing when they checked did you rev up the engine so that the exiter cable arned the alternator. MEaning did the battery light go out while testing? If not I would think that would have left an dopen field thus the low reading.

  EL T

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Jarrett [mailto:jarrett@rpa.net]
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:51
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Alternator questions?

So on my return home from Cincy, I had to replace my battery. I did it at
and Advance Auto, and they hooked up their tester to both the battery and
the alt.

I am comfortable that the battery that was in the car was beat, but when
they did the alt test, he said the peak amperage was only 32 amps. I've got
the 90a alternator.

Has anyone else had their alternator tested recently? Is this "normal," or
should I be thinking of replacing the alt, or the voltage regulator, or
something?

As another data point, I had the alt rebuilt for the convertible, and a
couple years ago, a buddy tested it and said IT was putting out low amps.
I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the way they're being tested,
or what.

| Jim Jarrett,McFarland, WI 2006 Golf GLS |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net 81 Rabbit Convertible 16v |
| 88 Scirocco 16V |
| Any problem can be solved with the proper application of |
| Force, Heat, Chemicals, or Money. |