Track Day thread hijack, was:Treffen 2006 - August 19th and 20th

On 7/31/06, Ben <vwtype53@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So who else is coming up for the track day?

Sean (who just got back from a trip to B.C. to retrieve his 85 Mk2)
and I will be there.  I've been hard at it getting the 82 ready for
the road.  A 2.0 ABA/JH G-grind is going in to replace the seized
1.7L.  It's all buttoned up on the floor, ready to go in tomorrow.
I've had a busy week - this was all in a million pieces a week ago.  I
also swapped the fifth gear in a 9A tranny with a .76 gear (ya I know,
the .76 is a "weak" gearset, but with the 3.67 FD the .71 I also have
would be too tall).  I relocated a Pelolok 80% LSD kit from a wrecked
4K to the 9A, cleaned it all up, and replaced all the seals/bushings,
and mated it to the ABA w/ a lightened flywheel and 16v PP.  After
slapping the engine/tranny in tomorrow I'll graft in a knock sensing
ignition system - my fourth time doing that particular job so it
should go smoothly.  A 2.25" cat back (sans cat), w/ supersprint
muffler, and Powerslot/Mintex brakes are waiting to go on as well...

It's been a pretty thorough buildup, but 99% of the stuff I had
already lying around so it's been kinda nice not to have to shell out
a pile of cash to get it done...

I can't wait for TDN!  I just added an external oil cooler for
insurance at the track, and I'll be welding up a shine-style rear
antisway bar soon - gotta get some on-demand oversteer dialed in!
Anyone want me to fabricate an extra or two?  I'll be making one for
Sean as well, so it'll be no biggie to make a few more...  I just
bought a killer Lincoln Electric MIG welder setup and I'm "weld-happy"
at the moment!  :)

Get your asses up here!  If you don't want to abuse your car, I'll
even offer mine up as a track mule for the day...  I also have two
sets of track rubber that we can swap between cars, so no excuses!

Later,

Mark.
75
82