OT: Wood companies

Jean-Claude Desinor wrote:
>   Yeah, we have lots of oil.
>   We also have lots of softwood which we would like to sell you, but it
> is getting harder because, well, it is a question of trust, you want
> everything going across our border to carry a passport ...
>   But hey, it's all about trade :-)

Your wood is too soft to power my people's car, capitaliste cochon!

http://cosmicbovine.com/graphics/images_med/KaferWood.jpg
http://www.beetle2000.h1.ru/1939-1945.files/019.jpeg

"The Type 230 Holzbrenners [wood-burners]... were more complex, they
worked much the same. This system simply converted dried wood products
into gas. The wood gas needed to be cooled and cleaned before being sent
to the motor, then water vapors were separated, and finally a mixing
valve controlled air for optimized combustion. Once underway, it was the
driver?s responsibility to insure that the correct gas-air mixture was
maintained. Since there was no way to start the motor initially, a hand
crank was used to start the car or it was pushed down a hill and
jump-started. This wood burning system yielded 12hp and could propel the
KdF car to a top speed of 30MPH. With a fuel life of 1-2 hours, stacks
of wood often needed to be stacked and lashed to the roof of the car.
Because the wood generator needed to be jostled, drawing fresh wood into
the generator, it was recommended to drive off-road whenever possible."

http://www.beetle.org.by/vwhist/bughist.ok.htm

{I actually know very little about the softwood controversy, please fill
me in on the latest news links if you want}