Looking for recommendations on a Helmet...

You can buy a very good helmet without damaging the kid's college fund.
Look for the Snell SA2005 rating if you want to get the longest use out of your new headpiece.

Pyrotect makes a very nice open face that sells for around $250 (street prices vary).  I just bought one three months ago and like it.
  Some people will tell you the Pyrotect helmets are made by Bell.  I have not been able to verify this, but can tell you that they are, at least, distributed by Bell.
  Add $50 to the price of a Pyrotect, and you can have a comparable Bell helmet.  What's your budget?

Larry
sandiego16v