Maintenance of Vac Dist

Hi all,
    This sounds like a problem I had years ago with the climate control
vacuum distributor on my old Mk1 ( a '79 w/ factory A/C). It had become
sticky to operate, and was also leaking slightly.
    I took it apart by removing the C-clip on the top; after that I think it
was either three or four total layers of molded plastic sandwiched in a
stack. I cleaned it thoroughly, shot a little aerosol carb cleaner through
all the small pinholes. At reassembly, I smeared on a LIGHT film of Castrol
Rubber Grease (hmm... do I hear someone giggling?). Probably any light
weight grease will do the job, but it must be applied very lightly.
    The grease works as a lubricant, so the layers move more easily; also
you get the fringe benefit of better sealing from external atmosphere (ie,
no vacuum leaks to outside the distributor). You can also if needed put a
very thin shim under the C-clip to tighten the layers to each other (which
will help prevent leaking, but not be a friction problem 'cuz all the layers
are greased, yes?).
    Two caveats; 1) before disassembly draw a line down one side of ALL
layers, or maybe scratch with a scribe. Depends on what you're planning to
use to clean. I'm not sure if it's possible to reassemble misaligned, but
why take a chance?
    And 2), if using an aerosol solvent, wear safety glasses or goggles.
Some of those pathways will direct the solvent right back at your face.
Which really hurts.
    Hope this helps.

Karl