Rust Damage on Windshield seal area, how to check?

On 7/17/06, Rick Kellner <rfkellner@snet.net> wrote:
> The vortex link below shows some rust damage to the front windshield
> seal area of a MKII (in Canada).
> Follow the link and scroll down to the 8th and 9th pictures of the front
> windshield area.
> How common is this?  Is the only way to check to pull the glass and
> seal?
> Thanks, Rick.
>
> http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2696350

Small world - that guy/kid is in my (smallish) city!   He saw my
Scirocco in a parking lot a couple months ago and headed over to
chat...  I mentioned Cincy to him, but he didn't seem too enthused
about driving 7 hours to meet a bunch of Scirocco nerds.  I'm not sure
if he signed up for the list or not, but I'll IM him and mention it
again...  Nice to see a young guy that spent time and effort to extend
the life of his Scirocco rather than drive it into the ground!  I
think I'll dig up the three gauge panel he asked me about for a job
well-done...

As far as the windshield rust goes, it's fairly common around here,
but the car is usually in much worse shape that this one was.  I've
had it happen to two Mk2's that I've owned over the years, but both
were beyond saving and had terminal rust issues all over the car.  I
wonder if an aftermarket windshield/seal replacement at some point in
a car's life has anything to w/ rust in that area?

Later,

Mark.
75
82