From: Dan Bubb [mailto:jdbubb@verizon.net]
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 1:24 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: Maintenance suggestion.

This weekend I discovered that my recirculation flap wasn't getting vacuum
while I was attempting to get the AC working on one of my cars.
Turns out the vacuum distributor was gummed up and didn't want to turn
easily, so it wasn't moving all the way to the ends of it's travel for
either recirculation or defrost.
Taking it apart, cleaning it and relubing it restored free movement. A
pretty easy job once you get the upper center console out. While I was in
there I also noticed that the heat control lever didn't move freely and
forcing it was really stressing the plastic pivot of the control unit.
The reason I mention this, aside from functionality, is that these parts
break pretty easily and the vacuum distributor is over $100 and the whole
heater/AC control is over $400!!!! I've seen a lot of broken ones!

Anyway, just a maintenance suggestion. If your levers don't move freely fix
them before you break them. The replacements are expensive and were only
used on A1 chassis, so availability is going to be limited.
Dan