Trouble starting

I had the same problem with my 88.  Spark stopped when the starter was
cranking and started right after I let the key back off of the cranking
position.  I could only get it to start if I cranked it 1 second at a time.
If I continued to crank it, it would flood, as there was no spark.  I had to
try to get it to fire off of that "single" spark that occured when I
released the key.

I replaced the ground cable with a new one and the problem went away.

HTH