G60 swap questions

I have to actually measure everything up when I start pulling things apart
and putting stuff back together again :)

The piston dish I took from the JE sight as I figured most would have a
similar dish when trying to fit an 83mm bore into a g60 block while
keeping the 8.0:1

For the stroke I took the numbers I found on the web.  The TDI (newer
model) I found had a 95.5? stroke and there was an older model that had a
92. I know he has had the engine around for quite some time so I figured
it had to be and older TDI crank from Europe or something so went with the
92 (I am only guesstimating here).  The info I gleaned of the net may have
been rounded and the actual stroke is prob. 92.8   I have to check to see
if i can't find a part number when start.  It may even be a TD crank but I
thought the TDI was the one most people went for in the g60 block.

I also approximated the depth of the G60 gasket at 1.6mm (not sure if that
is correct or not, but I took it from some of the metal head gasket
numbers I saw floating around for 1.8 engines)

Cory Langford
'86 Roc turbo,
'78 Roc turbo - Daily driver project,
'65 Ghia Coupe
95 Eurovan, etc, etc... :)

"Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@verizon.net>
Jan 26, 2006 11:53 AM

"Cory Langford" <Cory_Langford@bcit.ca>, "David Utley"
<fahrvergnugen@cox.net>
cc
<Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject
Re: G60 swap questions

Cory,
Can I ask where you got your numbers?
For instance 92mm is not a stock stroke, 86.4 (1.8L) or 92.8 (2.0L) are.
Also, curious how you calculated CR. Did you actually measure the piston
dish volume?
Typically, aftermarket piston manufacturers take into account the increase
in bore size and displacement and adjust the dish volume to attain the CR
they desire for the piston.
Also, David relative to your comment on CR while using a diesel crank,
that would depend entirely on the piston design and dish volume since it
would be a custom piston. i.e you cannot use any stock piston with a
diesel crank and get correct deck height.
Dan