G60 swap questions

Well,  I wouldn't really follow what I am doing as I may end up blowing
the engine all the h*ll as I am no real expert here I am just learning and
winging it as I go :)

I got VERY lucky.  I managed to pick up an old project dirt cheap (Local
VW nut passed away and we were lucky.  His family practically donated all
his stuff to various us vw nuts that usually hung around his garage; to
keep his love for the vw going.)

My base is kind of an known.  It is a pg block overbored. The piston set
is 83mm and they are forged. I am not sure if they are JE, but I used
their specs figuring most other brands should be close.  The stroke should
be 92mm (I still have to verify this) the rods are unknown - possibly
custom.  That should make a "rounded up" 2L  (1990 aprox I figured).

As for compression ratio, I figured with the dished pistons I should be
close to 10:1 (10.6 was what the calculator spit out, if the stroke is
actually 92) A little high, but not impossible.  I know of a whole lot of
16V turbos running close to 10:1 compression.  I just have to keep
detonation problems under control (I figured use of high octane gas and a
water injection system should do the trick)

But like I said, I am no expert.  I could get the whole thing together,
have fun for a few months and end up with a smoldering block of scrap in
the engine bay :)

Cory Langford
'86 Roc turbo,
'78 Roc turbo - Daily driver project,
'65 Ghia Coupe
95 Eurovan, etc, etc... :)

"David Utley" <fahrvergnugen@cox.net>
Jan 25, 2006 07:27 PM

"Gordy Stedman" <ydrogs@gmail.com>, "Cory Langford"
<Cory_Langford@bcit.ca>
cc
<Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject
Re: G60 swap questions

Cory,
  What pistons are you planning on using?  I wanted to do a 2.0 G60 and
decided that stock was the best idea I could come up with.  The G60
pistons
(as you know) have a larger distance from the top of the crown to the top
ringland, greater than any other I have ever seen.  I think VW did this
because this helps keep the pressure away from the rings.  A friend who
sells Eurospec mentioned this, and the fact that he had sold 3 2.0 G60
S/Blocks from them, and ALL THREE FAILED.  Apparently, they only appeared
be ABA-type S/Bs with no other perparation to make them stand up to the
pressure...

Back to the pointed questions.  :-)  I know that some are using a TDI
crank,
but what compression ratio will that raise it to?  Are you going to use a
stock headgakset?

Sorry to have so many Qs, you are posting this right when I was searching
for these answers...

TIA,
  David