81 Clutch replacement - Crankshaft seal trouble

One end screws in and out.  Screw it all the way in then install the cable
onto the pedal.  Slip the loose end through the clutch lever side.  Now
raise the clutch lever slightly and place your clips onto the knobby end of
the cable.  releae the lever and adjust the srew thingy to only allow a
small amount of slop.   I forget the exact amount.

You really should not have to raise the lever that much.  But one time I
used a bungy cord up through the top to hold it up.