81 Clutch replacement - Crankshaft seal trouble

Hi Allyn and Ron.

Thanks for your replies.
You're right, the trans code is between 81-83.
I mistakenly thought the date was of the trans but was actually
the date on the flywheel.

I've got the trans seals replaced now but just wrecked the crankshaft
rear seal, it was going on really nice but suddenly a section of the spring
inside the seal pushed its way to the outside.
There goes another $50.00

Not sure how to prevent that from happening again at this point.??

I also had a stripped oil pan bolt, got that drilled out and retapped today.
Ed

Ed Effinger
Senior Analyst
Computer Systems
Information Technology
Conestoga College Institute of Technology
                              and Advanced Learning
519 748-5220  Ext: 3379
--- Edward Effinger <Eeffinger@conestogac.on.ca> wrote:
> We've got a 210 mm clutch vs the stock 190 mm and are about to
> replace the release bearing and half shaft oil seals as well as > the main shaft seal.

AFA clutch and flywheel - no biggie, just get clutch and PP for a later model car and they bolt
up.  Replacing seals and release bearing is not impacted.

> The trans case seems to be from 1986 and has the following number on the plate of the
> bellhousing  FN27052.
> Just wondering about the origin of this part.

FN's are older than '86.  They were applied in the early 80's.
ETKA says '8/81 - 7/83 Jetta, 1/80 - 3/81 Rabbit, 8/81 - 7/83 Scirocco..

Date code says 27 (day), 05 (month, May), 2 (year, has gotta be 82).

> Also, we didn't mark the flywheel alignment before removal.
> How do we best recover from this?

It won't bolt up wrong if memory serves...there are locating pins on the perimeter that prevent
this.  If not...I wouldn't sweat it.

HTH

Ron
aka Cheapass Ron