Need some help

Lance LaPrarie wrote:
> Well.......wouldn't start at all. It's been two weeks and
> still can't get it to start. Has gas since cranking it over
> you can smell it. This morning I did notice that after cranking
> it over there was a series of snaps that sound like a tazer.
> There is like 5 or 6 in a row. I know there is the buzz from
> the fuel distributor but that doesn't make a snapping sound.

You have a short somewhere. The tazer sounding snaps are the sound of your
car shorting. The pertinent question is: "Where is it shorting?" Wait until
it is dark, open the hood, get someone to crank the car for you while you
look to see where it is shorting. There should be a spark or you can at
least 'play it by ear' to narrow down where the short is. Explore from
there. My guess is that it will be near the coil.

I had a problem somewhat in the same realm with my Cali a few months back.
During or just after rain it would crank but not turn over. You could smell
a little bit of fuel. If you let it dry out it became A-OK. It was the
ground wire to the coil - it was not grounding very well. Cleaned it off
?ber-well and now all is well in any weather.

-Marc

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
'83 VW Scirocco California Edition
'84 VW Rabbit GTI Pickup Truck