OT: TDi beetle transmission question

Follow along with me here....
My Brothers Father-In-Law has a 2001 NB with the tdi and an automatic
transmission.  It has somewhere in the neighborhood of 200k miles on it, and
he tells me the transmission is on it's way out.
The symptoms are that the 3-4 shift is met with a lot of slipping, a drop in
acceleration.  Driving under 30mph is fine.  Driving above 50 mph is fine.
He's been quoted a replacement cost of $4200 for a new transmission and $500
labor.  Unfortunately, that's more than the car is worth, and less than what
he owes on it (talk about being badly upside down!)

Would this rebuild kit from IPT be of any help?
"IPT now offers High Performance Master Rebuild Kits for Audi and VW
transmissions. These kits include all necessary seals, gaskets, filters,
shifting bands, friction clutches and reaction plates that are required when
rebuilding transmissions. The materials and parts that are selected for
inclusion in these kits are the same as the ones that are installed in our
Performance Transmissions. We utilize only the type of clutch and reaction
plate material that we feel is best suited for each particular unit.
(Includes molded piston set)."

It's $600, but I don't know if the wear parts it replaces will help his
problem.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/volkswagonauto.shtml#main

I know when the list tackles automatic transmission problems they're usually
not easy fixes (Rodolfo's swap?  the other lister who's passat ate it?)

So, anyone got any ideas for me?  If I provide information that helps Steve
(the owner) a full authentic greek feast will be held for me, a la My Big
Fat Greek Wedding.

Thanks list!

GP
--
"Fatal mistakes rarely happen, but funny things often do"