84 scirocco wolfsburg ed

Well for one,welcome! Nobody knows any thing about the cars here :)
First of all you need a book called the "Bentley". Its a bible for our cars.
If you have a multimeter (radio shack) look at the back of the ignition switch. 2 thinner black wires come out. Power to this comes on when you turn the key. This is the switched 12v one wire goes to the coil for the spark, the other goes to the dash.
Also, just as important, where are you? We have a lot of afflicted people here, some one might be just around the corner. (Now why did that just sound frightening)