Anyone want something powdercoated?

You make it sound so harsh, Alan.

A little clarification - I heat to about 350-400*F anymore, since that will do the trick unless a
bearing is stuck due to damage from SMS or similar.

Oftentimes, even at that temp, the races and shims have already fallen out without prompting.  If
not, then I slap the case on a 2x4, sheet of plywood, etc.  If it takes more than 3 slaps, I tap
it out since it usually has dislodged partway by then, or reheat if required.

Ron