16v head gasket Q

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Allyn
  To: 'Derrick floyd' ; 'Daun Yeagley'
  Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:41 AM
  Subject: RE: 16v head gasket Q

  >  they are streached bolts so can't reuse them.

  I know this comment will go 'against the grain', but I've re-used head bolts with no ill effect (and many thousands of miles
  afterwards).

  I've reused headbolts as well.  Unless they are overtorqued, they are not plastically deformed and may be used more than once.

  > headgasket is a one time use only one unless its metal then u
  > "might" be able to reuse it.

  Umm, all head gaskets have metal rings surrounding the cylinders, and as those rings are compressed upon torquing of the head bolts,
  successful re-use would basically require that everything went together *exactly* as it was before removal.

  Head gaskets are cheap, use a new one.  Reusing ANY gasket is false thrifty-ness.  (aka, cheapass, with a smaller case c)

  > pull the head get it decked and
  > clean the surface on teh block and re install.

  Be advised decking will raise the compression ratio.  The impact is more severe on engines that have higher a pre-decking
  compression ratio.

  Only a small fraction of a point.  I'd be more concerned with retarding cam timing....but, if ya' gotta', ya' gotta'.
  larry
  sandiego16v

  HTH
  Al