engine question crankshaft/pulley

Yesterday I discovered the source of an annoying metallic knocking noise around my engine in the 1982 Scirocco.  The problem, the whole pulley assembly on the crank shaft was loose at the large bolt.  Question, how do you stop the crank from rotating in-order to tighten the center bolt.

Stupid me, wrapped some large wire around a couple of the studs and secured it to a mount on the engine.  It worked enough to stop the noise, but is there a special tool or home brewed tool that will work.

Karl