OT: A1 Manual to Auto Conversion

I know this is not 100% Scirocco content however; it is the same A1
platform.

A friend in our local club is converting a 92 Cabby from manual to auto.
They would prefer to put another manual back in however; the car will be
driven by some who wants an auto.

Anyway, the question is will A2 automatic shift linkage work on an A1
chassis?  Any modification necessary?  A2 Golf/Jetta autos are quite
common and readily available while Cabbies are harder to find, if the
linkage will work it will be a lot easier to source a J/G.  Also, he
does have the correct auto for the Cabby, I just don't' know the code.

Thanks, Rick.