Sun roof parts

What did you lubricate it with?

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Haygood [mailto:haygood@myway.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 19, 2006 9:34 PM
To: jlagnese@massed.net; julie@menloparkrandd.com;
scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: RE: Sun roof parts

This is as good a time as any...

I have three Mk2's and all have had trouble with the sunroof.  The first
was just really hard to slide back, the others were broken.  The
solution is "dirt" simple.  If your sunroof doesn't roll back as easily
as your windows roll down, then pull out the assembly, clean it, and put
it back in.  If you or your PO haven't done this in time, then yours is
broken.  Clean it now, or your replacement parts will break.

Now, if you don't want to pull your sunroof, just slide the roof back
and clean the gunk off that you can get to.  This will get 80% of it and
probably keep you from breaking it.

To really clean it, Bentley has great info on how to do it all.  Call me
or e-mail if you need any advice.  Bentley makes it sound much more
difficult than it is, particularly with their "62mm +- 0.5mm" bull.
Just make sure the distance they mention is the same on each side. There
is a good tollerance on where they are, as long as the two guides are
parrallel. You'll understand if you read the stuff about sunroofs.  I
did replace two screws on one that I had trouble removing, but the
dealership only wanted like $0.47 for each, so who cares.  The 4
vertical screws holding the front of the panel are the hardest.  Get
someone to put a lot of weight on the top of the panel so you can push
against them.  Then put a little torque on your screwdriver while
tapping it with a hammer (i.e. torque wrench style).  They are easy to
drill out, too, but you shouldn't need to.