From: C Boyko [mailto:roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:00 PM
To: Kevin Brosha
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: Downpipe & Exhaust & Springs

> The price is pretty high though, even with the basic muffler it runs
> $300. The TT site says $505 for the stainless with the borla muffler
> - can I justify that much extra for a muffler?  I like the lifetime
> warranty on the muffler though, that means something.  Anyone with
> one of these want to comment on how loud they are?  Whatabout the TT
> with flowmaster?  The quieter the better for me.

I had TT 2 1/4" stainless with a Dynomax I think? on my 16V.  Anyway, that
muffler self destructed, and I upgraded to the Borla. We had the car at the
track tonight, and even full out, it really isn't obnoxious.  When it came
time to do the daily bug, I opted for a 2 1/2" TT stainless setup with the
Borla. The only auditory clue is a deep throaty rumble on startup (way
sexy!), otherwise it's really quiet. I wouldn't say the 16V is as quiet as
the bug, but the Borla has a nice tone to it. I'll get one for the 8V when
the current local muffler shop edition needs to go. The 8V had some fitment
issues with its TT pipes, but the other two weren't a problem.

>  Really?  Not the springs.  It's been bottoming even when the shocks
> were brand new - and they weren't blown out then.  I thought that a
> shock just worked like a dampener - how does that stop it from
> bottoming out?  I thought springs, but I don't really understand this
> stuff yet.

Again, I will refer to my daily, it's a porker, and killed off the factory
struts pretty effectively. The main symptom was bottoming out. I replaced
with Bilsteins because they _raised_ the car 1/2"!!, and did not replace
the springs. The car doesn't bottom out now.

> I'm not cheap by choice, believe me!  I'd love to go all out on this
> car . . . it takes alot of restraint to try not to.

I hear you on that! They just want it all eh?

cathy