More Amp-erage

Ok, so I want to replace the stock stereo in my Scirocco with
something a little better.  I don't want to go overboard; I was
thinking of a nice CD/MP3 disc head unit, some new speakers that fit
in the stock locations, and driving them with an amplifier.

I will be replacing the dash in the near future, so it seemed like a
good time to hide an amp up in there, so that I don't have to figure
out how to run speaker wires, power, and RCA cables across the car,
without tearing up the interior, but it sounds like that's not a good
idea for heat dissipation.

Ok, so how DO you run wires the length of the car without ripping up
the interior?