  From: T. Reed
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:48 PM
  Subject: a/c drain hose, revisited

  Okay, so I got my worldimpex order today. Thing is.. they sent the wrong
  a/c drain hose (which was the part that prompted the order in the first
  place) .. or so I thought!

  In actuality, ETKA is wrong, at least for -my- 87 with A/C. The ETKA part
  number is 175 820 615, which is what I ordered. The correct part number is
  171 820 615 A. There's a large size difference (the right part is a much
  larger diameter) between the two.

  Anyway, I yanked the old hose all the way out so I could check the part
  number, and while I had it out I took a closer look and decided that it
  could be repaired after all. Some careful supergluing and 5 minutes later
  it was (almost) good as new. It's not under pressure (like a cooling hose)
  or anything, so it should be fine.

  Then came the painstaking re-installation process. I was pushing on the
  end so hard I thought my thumbnail was going to shatter, and it wasn't
  going anywhere.

  Here's a little tip I just 'invented' tonight for installing these pain in
  the ass cone-shaped rubber end pieces (I imagine it would work for
  ordinary grommets as well): give the business end a little squirt of
  silicone spray lube. After doing this, the end popped right in to place on
  the first try, and even pivoted around smoothly- which I've never seen
  happen before.

  Kinda obvious, I guess.. but worth mentioning unless you want a sore,
  swollen, red thumb for the next few hours. This isn't the first time I've
  done battle with this type of problem. Getting the A/C firewall hose
  grommets back in was a terrible pain as well. I wish I'd thought of this
  back then, so I decided I'd share.

  -Toby