Shine rear swaybar dimension & metallurgical advice needed +(ATTN: Ron P.

> --- Allyn <amalventano1@tds.net> wrote:
> > I realize a flat section (even 'c') may not be as tortionally rigid as the shine bar,
> something
> > must be considered - that bar is 1"
> > diameter, where the 'c' channel was 2.5" wide.  I'm half tempted to say that the 'cheapass'
> > solution may be closer in practice than
> > we might be inclined to guess.  > Exactly.  The Cheapass bar may not be quite as torsionally
rigid as the Shine bar, but it's a
> whole heck of a lot easier to fasten a flat piece of C-channel to the flat underside of the axle
> beam than it is the round Shine bar.  Plus, the Cheapass bar is lower profile.  ;)
>
> Just keep in mind the end goal here... to increase the torsional rigidity of the rear axle.

I recall having done a calculation on the torsional strength of the C channel and comparing it to
a Shine bar, but danged if I can find that spreadsheet.  I think that what I chose was not too far
off, esp. considering available sizes.  Another thing I had considered was about what point a C
channel section twists - it's not on the member itself.  I forget that result too, and in the end
I think I just disregarded it.  The Cheapass Bar is just that - cheap.  It's easy too.  Cut,
drill, bolt, done.  It's better than nothing and far cheaper than a Shine bar.  Sorry, no
apologies for it!

Ron