Was 4700 Mazdas, now pics of the Tricolor

(I just blew through an hour and a half going through the site.) My
thoughts:

- Fantastic chronicle of the removal.
- Could the Bahamian flagged ship's crew have been drinking some
Bahamian rum before it hit the Tricolor?

- Scene 1: Insurance company learns that the ship sank. "Oh, sh*t!"
- Scene 2: Insurance company learns that the a German ship has struck
the wreck of the Tricolor. "Oh, sh*t2!"
- Scene 3: Insurance company learns that the ship has to be removed.
"Oh, sh*t3!"
- Scene 4: Insurance company learns that the a Turkish ship has struck
the wreck of the Tricolor. "Oh, sh*t4!"

- What a huge job.
- What massive equipment used to remove the ship
- 14 ships/boats/barges or other pieces of ultra heavy equipment
- My G*d, look at the size of the links in that chain
- What the heck do they do with those monstrous cranes when they aren't
being used to lift sections of ships?
- I wonder what the rent is per day for those cranes
- The cutting wire is incredible. Great idea.
- Cutting through the hull would seem to be hard enough. Cutting through
the propeller shaft seems almost impossible
- Some parts of the hull look like sheet metal (thin) ("They don't make
them the way they used to.")
- It looks like one section of the ship is tall enough to tip the barge
over
- The propeller looks like it is in good shape. (The ship is not a total
loss!) (Like Dr. Z says in the commercial "It's a 'choke'.")
- What are the chances that your new BMW or Volvo will get hit and
totaled when it is 55 miles from the nearest road?
- Meeting of Board of Directors for insurance company: "Maybe we should
just insure a bunch of over exuberant Scirocco drivers."
- Can you imagine a member of the Tricolor's crew asking the salvage
guys "Hey, did any of you guys see a gold watch anywhere?"
- That can of beans you just opened could have been made out of scrap
metal from the Tricolor.
- The job took two years. Here's the bill.
- When the Dutch crew finished the job do you think they said "It's
Heineken time"?

Great fine Nate.

Chris

Nate Mellom wrote:
> No problem, I followed this when it happened.  Amazing thing, they used
> a giant cable as a saw blade to cut the ship into pieces for salvage.
> There's little video on the salvage website, just like a coping saw
> cutting through a ship.
>
> http://www.tricolorsalvage.com/pages/home.asp
>
> Nate
>
> Marc Getty wrote:
>> Thanks for posting this! I spent most of 2002 in an alcoholic haze and
>> did
>> not catch everything!
>>
>> -Marc

>>> 9C8B63> for an article from back in 2002. What the article does not