Rim Of the World Ralley

Just got back from the RIM in Lancaster, CA.  Helped crew on my oldson's rally Toyota.
 You see all kinds of "import" stuff at these competitions, from rally household names to the guy down the street, from drifting competitions, to import shows/vendor extravaganzas.
  VW content: both Golf entries DNF'd.  What a down day.  I know the one that I talked to had clutch problems that destroyed the gearbox...not sure at this point about the other (didn't have time to walk around socializing as much as I'd have liked to.
  I know the subject of converting a 'Roc to a rally car has been discussed here before, and the Scirocco had been "written off" by those participating in the discussion. The various reasons that the 'Roc was deemed "unsuitable" sure could be disputed by the various, Gen I and Gen II RX-7's, Golfs (they did well last year), Civics, Starions, Integras, and Talons that run this event, and do quite well.
  Granted, this is not WRC, and 80% of the teams in RIM are non-professional or semi-pro, but if good times are the goal, then I think a clean, well-prepared MKII would not be a pariah.
  By the way, Speedvision was there, and while I declined to be interviewed...:)...guys like Travis Pastrana got plenty of air time.  Watch for it on your big-screen soon.

  Looking at the 'roc this afternoon; two sets of rally rims/tires, cage, electronics (oops, that lets the Sirocco out!).... ;), strip the interior, buy a car hauler, etc... ?????

Larry
sandiego16v