From: Bryan Rankin [mailto:d_x20@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 12:34 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Buying a mint car from afar, I need help!

   If any of you remember the mk1 I have in my garage, it's far from
being
finished, the body is the biggest thing left to do.  I live in Fort
McMurray
where a body man or body shop is IMPOSSIBLE to get, most guys here would

rather be doing collision work.  My only option is Edmonton, which is
430kms
away.  I've been told I'm looking at about $3000 in body work alone,
then
you gotta calculate in costs of me trailering it down there, staying the

night etc etc.

   So yesterday I seen THIS
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2519431     car on the vortex.

WOW, looks great, it's a little farther along then what I am on my car,
and
I could likely swap all the parts over.  My biggest issue is shipping
the
car across Canada.  Is this gonna be expensive?

   I'm thinking if I can get the car for $5000 shipped up here I'm doing

good because any of the body shops around here have quoted me at at
least
$5000 and the car in Ontario has absolutely been done to a further
extent of
what mine will be.

Do you guys think its worth it?   Is it a major hassle to ship a car
across
Canada?  for $1000?

Here's a pic of my car in it's current stage for reference...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/566000-566999/566365_7
6_full.jpg
  the doors are taken off now, as well as a little more paint, the
rockers
need to be replaced, as does the rear fender archs and hatch.

Thanks in advance,

Bryan
Fort McMurray, AB
81 Volkswagen Scirocco