Fwd: 80 Scirocco update

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chris Bennett <scirocco16vr32@gmail.com>
Date: Apr 16, 2006 12:20 AM
Subject: 80 Scirocco update
To: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>

Well, it was a mad crazy run for Sturgis, SD we drove 1200 miles out,
and 1200 back in 36 hours with the Callaway in tow.

We got about 500 miles into the trip when I realized that I did not
have the key to the tempered high security lock that was securing the
storage unit.  It was one of those deals that appeared to be a chrome
hockey puck with a 1/2 inch hardened steel bolt that slid through it.
After much cussin' we decided that we were not going to turn back and
get the key.  I thought that maybe we could have the key overnighted
to us, but that would throw off the timing on the mad dash.  So what
were the alternatives?  Walmart in Butte, Montana was a thought...  So
we stopped and hit the tool isle looking for something that would cut
through this.  I was hoping that the guy who sold the lock to me was
full of shit and that we would not in fact need a torch to get the
damn thing off.  So with half a dozen hack saw blades, a new hack saw
and a pair of bolt cutters we were back on our way.  As luck would
have it we arrived about 4am in Sturgis.

Luckily the storage unit was one that wasn't behind a gate.  After
failing to even scratch the lock with the bolt cutters, we decided to
cut the hasp itself instead of the lock.  Oh well they can bill me.

So I am praying to God that the cops don't come by and see us breaking
into my own storage unit and "stealing" my own car.  We get the car
out and try to get it on the tow dolly it's raining and no matter how
we push we can't get it over that last hump.  More cussin' ensued.
Finally we put the Ebrake on and BACK the trailer under the car.

Come back 70+ mph and get in 3am, Seattle.  We crash out take the
trailer back 15 minutes too late and end up paying an extra day for
the trailer.  Oh well $129 isn't bad for a tow dolly for three days.

We pushed it in the garage and tried to start it.

I'll be damned if it didn't start and run IMMEDIATELY.  No trouble at all.

So I went out and got the things I needed to start redoing the
electrical system.  Got quick disconnects for the battery, and 4 heavy
duty grounds, found SEVERAL wires in questionable shape.  One had
actually hung from one strand of copper that had slipped through the
insulation, making the wire twice as long as it should have been.

I am going to be working more on it tommorow.

Later
Chris

--
85 Scirocco 16v (conversion) Burgundy