Jetta GLI ground cable

--- C Boyko <roccit_53@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> On 4:07:21 am 04/10/06 "David Brown"
> <sharpshooter33@adelphia.net> wrote:
> > YES!
> > Successful weekend.  Got my grass cut. Returned my
> buddy's engine
> > hoist. Assembled my MegaSquirt Stim and fixed the
> Jetta's start
> > problems. Rewiring the grounds did it.  Fires up
> like a true champ
> > now.  Looks like I'll be saving some gas money
> driving to work. Sure
> > will beat the gas mileage on my Blazer!!!
> >
> > Cheers
> > David
> > 86 16v rocco turbo - awaiting MegaSquirt
> > 86 16v rocco - waiting on face lift in front
> > 84 8v rocc - organ donor
> > 86 8v Jetta GLI - New daily driver 8-)
>
> Since Brother Tosha has been quiet these days,
> welcome to the church of the
> free electron. I may be a lasped member, my 16V had
> one less-than perfect
> start yesterday, time to go check grounds.
> Cathy

Yea and Verily. I have been preoccupied with the
passing of my Father (sad) and the subsequent family
reunion that it generated (bittersweet, but that's the
best kind of chocolate for example).

I direct young master David to the Scirocco Org
Chronicles, er Archives and search thereupon for TBerk
& Ground. Heck, a Google search should turn up some of
the same things.

In any case, and in a condensed version here are some
highlights:

- You need a good path from the Battery Hot to the
Starter then onto to the Alt. (Some folks run a good
thick Hot wire directly from the Alt to the Battery).

- You also need a good low resistive path from the
Case of the Alt (I said CASE, its negative side) to
the Motor's block, the Chassis, and the Battery's
Negative Post.

- Corrosion on your connections and thin rusty wire
are your enemies, cleaning to shiny metal and coating
with Dielectric Grease (or other) to keep the O2 away
is a must do on those cable/wire to post connections.

- Welding Supply and Surplus Shops are cheap ways to
get good thick cable with posts and prefabbed ends,
Although your FLAPS nowadays carries a commendable
supply of 4 and 2 gage cables as well.

Lastly the OEM Ground Cable was a three connection
type; it ran from the Battery to a bolt on the chassis
under the battery and on to the Engine Block.
Replacements usually make due with a combination of
two shorter cables that accomplish the same result.

Enjoy and next plan on relaying your headlights.

TBerk
It's raining around SF enough to be the PNW.