From: "Chris Bennett" <scirocco16vr32@gmail.com>
To: "Mike Smith" <smithma7@gmail.com>
Cc: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 11:56 PM
Subject: Re: Callaway Update

RIP Callaway Turbo, Sturgis South Dakota.

There was a loud bang, a nice CLOUD of sparks from the exhaust, and
fuel spraying all over the engine compartment.  I think it's a miracle
I am not extra crispy right now.

I don't know if they are related, cause and effect or what exactly.

Fixed the fuel line(s) some asshat had put rubber hose with no hose
clamps between the fuel filter and the dizzy.  Unarmored at that.
Every time I tried to start after that I got something that sounded to
me like a backfire and got an awful shuddering in the plumbing up top.
 Let me publicly thank both Daun and Dan for helping and offering
suggestions all along the way.

I rented a storage unit and had it towed there.  Not sure when or what
I am going to do with it.  It's only 1200 miles to Seattle give or
take a few.  I guess I'll have the 85 fitted with a tow hitch and go
get it.

Yea... I am high and dry... DEFINATELY feels like one of my cars now.
Thank God the R32 was there.  I managed to stuff 10 lbs (or 22 kilos
for our Northern Comrads) of shit in a 5 lb (11 kilo) sack. I have
about 2 inches of rear glass to see out of.  I pushed the car in the
storage unit backwards and opened the hood so when I come back I
remember why.  I want to look at the engine when I open that door and
it will feel just a little better.

Chris
(Sheridan Wyoming)

--