To supercharge a 3A or not?

On 4/3/06, Phil Boeye <rocco_phil@yahoo.com> wrote:
> So I have this nice 3A/JH (Eurospec) motor and I would
> like to fun F/I for autocross.  I am thinking
> supercharging as I want the instant throttle response.
>  Plus, I have a new Lysholm charger.  :)
>
> What exactly would have to be done to the 3A block
> (25k miles) and Eurospec JH head?  I might add I also
> have the obligatory p&p'd intake and Neuspeed TB along
> w/ a Euro dizzy.  As well as all the makings for a
> Digifant I conversion.

Phil,

How much boost are you planning on?   Anything more than 5-6psi and
you'll have to drop the compression ratio (and even with just 5-6 psi
a knock sensing ignition would be a good idea), and add an
intercooler.  The 3A has a stock 10:1 c/r right?  Your options for
dropping the c/r are stacking head gaskets (cheap/easy, but arguably
not ideal) or a thicker copper head gasket, installing lower
compression pistons, or slapping a 16v head on there (will yield
around 8.5:1 c/r)...

A boost-ready Digi1 system from a G60 Corrado is an option, as is
standalone (Megasquirt, VEMS, Haltech, TEC II/III, etc...).  There are
also home-brew options for boost fuel/ignition control, but IMHO
that's a recipe for blowing up your engine...

Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?  :D

Later,

Mark.
75
82