The saga of the 85....on the road again.

Seems the fuel pump was the culprit.  Car was starving.  Changed out the
pump and it runs like a Scirocco!  And I don't miss the din of the old
pump...I knew it was failing, 'cause it was so damn loud.

So, now it's on to bigger and better things: checked the timing again, some
basics checks for good measure, such as CPR resistance and supply voltage,
checked freq valve duty cycle with my dwell meter.

The trick is adjusting the CO.  The car smells rich.  Too lean on the screw
and it starts to stall.  I wonder if there's anything inside of the cat.
When I rev the motor, there's a "pop, pop, pop" from the muffler, which
sounds like a rich mixture to me, but the muffler has a hole now (of
course), so...

Cathy: was that multimeter CO adjustment dealie just for CIS-E cars?  I
would figure it to be.  Guess I have to play it by ear.

Any tips on getting this motor's mixture where it needs to be, folks?  I've
always done it by ear...I find the "running range," where the car won't
stall, then go as lean as I can without running problems.

Thanks for your advice and support, folks.  Special thanks for Dan Bubb for
taking the time to discuss the possibilities with me at H2O.

Let the gas savings begin!
Jim