concerning lug caps

I bought a set (16) of lug caps - you know, those black plastic do-jobbies
that fit over the lug bolts to hold the wheel on, got 'em off of ebay,
figured they'd go nicely with the new wheels on the car.However. the holes
in the wheel for the lug bolts re deep - I test fit one of my fugly old ones
and couldn't get it off w/o mangling the plastic all to hell with a air of
needlenose pliers
Any ways to get them off neatly/cleanly? Or do I just kiss the 16 bucks away
and give up on that idea?
FWIW it's the gt 5-spoke wheel I asked about regarding tire rubbing a few
weeks ago.
Wheel as seen here -
http://photobucket.com/albums/v613/g-rocco/?action=view&current=IMG_3482.jpg
 Greg.

--
Aronsons First Law
People who do crazy things are not necessarily crazy