Can this be said on the list?

> From: "Eric S" <scirocco@vintagewatercooleds.com>
> Date: 2005/09/06 Tue AM 10:46:32 EDT
> To: "Dan Bubb" <dan.bubb@gmail.com>
> CC: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
> Subject: Re: Can this be said on the list?
>

> I'm siding with Dan on this.
>
> The rear calipers are not worth it in my opinion, considering the
> reliability problems I have heard of (and experienced on the Corrado).
> Ebrakes siezing, calipers siezing even without using the ebrake, etc.

Anyone remember Mr. Chris DeLong?  He told me something interesting years back; those calipers do not seize.  Now before I am enflamed to cinders, hear me out.  He said the worm screws that activate and deactivate the E-brake will *often* get cocked, seizing the mechanism.  The cure?  screw the piston out a turn or tow, lightly tap the body of the caliper with a small hammer or similar, repeat both steps, and then screw in the piston as normal.  Last time I spoke to him on this, he had not found a caliper that he could not do this to.  I have been lucky, I have not had this trouble.  However, 16V brakes will soon make their way onto the GTI, and my pickup both...  :-)

David