Squealing A/C compressor

Now that it' getting colder here in PA, I thought it was just my belts squealing on my '82 Scirocco.  We, I sprayed on some belt conditioner and that seemed to help...............................wait what am I thinking.......cold makes things shrink(sorry George) /contract so the belt shouldn't squeal?  right?

The other morning it was so loud while warming up, I opened the hood and it sounded like it was coming from the A/C compressor (pulley end).  Since the compressor has it's own belt can I remove it?

Karl
'82 Scirocco (Road Kill)
'82 Scirocco (project)