transmission number

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blake Irvin" <blake@clockworm.com>
To: "Eric Person" <scirocco25@gmail.com>
Cc: "Scirocco list" <Scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:08 PM
Subject: Re: transmission number

> thanks dave and eric
>

> now, do you think the 5th gear in this transmission might be a little
> long for a 16v?  it seems like the motor labors a bit in 5th if i'm
> going up a moderate hill or accelerating...

It prolly is, but I couldn't help you with the ratios (easily that is).
IIRC there is a chart on scirocco.org that should help you there...

> blake/
>
> also, what's the technical name of the 'main gear seal' that keeps
> engine oil away from the clutch - and is it part of this
> transmission?  i think mine is leaking a bit

Are you talking about the main seal on the flywheel end of the engine?  Just
a main seal if so.  If that oil smells sulfurous, it is hypoid oil instead
which comes from your tranny.  That seal is called the input shaft seal, and
there is an inner (along with a very important bushing), and an outer.
Replace all three for the tranny, and the main seal for the engine any time
you do a clutch...

David