Electric Vehicle (EV) Conversion Scirocco

david@thinkology.org wrote:

> [...]
> Automotive), but in general it is way more expensive and complicated to
> integrate this than its worth.  If most of your driving is hw or country roads,
> the added range probably wouldn't even be noticable.
>

>>What made you decide on keeping your transaxle/clutch/flywheel instead of
>
> direct drive (easier to incorporate, I suspect)?
>
> Basically the same reason you don't have your gas engine on direct drive.  You'd
> only be able to go as fast as a go cart.  Plus you don't want to let the ev
> motors go to as high an rpm as a gas engine can.  I'm pretty sure there are
> some more optimal gear ratios to use with the electric motor, but I'm sure
> having a custom transmission made isn't cheap at all.  I think there is a
> pretty good faq on electro automotive's website that talks about stuff like
> that.
>

>>Is the vacuum pump for powered accessories?
>

> Primarily for the brakes, also for the ventalation system.
>

>>I see you've spent the dough on getting the interior redone, are you planning
>>on an exterior restore, too?
>

> I haven't spent that much, I did all the interior work myself.  I'll probably
> have only spent a 1000-1500 total on restoring the interior and exterior
> including money spent on restoring the brakes, suspension, and electrical
> system.  So the total amount I've spent on on-EV related stuff (i.e. the car
> itself) should be under $2000.
>

>>What will this project cost, and would you end up with more hp per dollar (or
>>less) than if you had put in a highly-tuned gas engine (p&p, turbo, EDIS, EMS,
>>etc.)?
>

> EV definitely isn't the way to go if you want performance for the dollar.  The
> total I'm trying to do everything for under $8000.  I might pull it off for
> under $7000.  That includes the $1500 spent restoring the car itself.  Compared
> to the price of a new car or hybrid, that's pretty good especially considering
> there are way less things to spend money on maintaining compared to gas, and
> way less things to break.
>
> If I wanted an insanely fast car, I'd buy or build something like the Ariel
> Atom.  Performs like a Enzo for under $40k and is faster than a motorcycle on a
> track.  Lightweight, low to the ground, and small is the key.
>

>>Seems to me that with advances in fast recharges, hi-capacity LiOn Batteries,
>>ultracapacitors, and
>>regen braking, plus powerful electric motors, that the time for a truly
>>sweet, high performance,
>>long-range electric powered car at a reasonable price is nearly upon us.
>

> I've been hoping a new battery technology would get available or cheaper by the
> time I got to that part.  But I haven't been overly optimistic until I followed
> your link. Alternative energy folks have been been listening to news about new
> battery technologies that might replace lead acid for the last 30 years, but
> nothing has ever materialized in all that time so far.

Wow, thanks for indulging me!  Looks like an excellent experiment.  As an FYI, you can read on the
AC Propulsion website an article talking about how they had worked with VW in '98 to build a
prototype AC-powered Golf.  I wonder what became of that project...
<http://acpropulsion.com/Press%20releases/VW_EVS15.htm>

I also love this story of their 2003 trip to Las Vegas from San Dimas (245 miles) on new LiOn cells
<http://acpropulsion.com/ACP_tzero/SEMAtrip2003.htm> with 40 miles capacity to spare.  I believe
they were using standard-cell batteries (apparently a little larger than AA's) though, not the new
Valence 12V batts now on the market.  Heck, I can barely even get 250 miles on one tank in my 2.0
16V!  Nothing gets me juiced up for EV like reading the cool stuff those guys are doing.

PS I don't know why, but my copies to Scirocco-l@scirocco.org are bouncing back to me...