I'm so pumped! It runs...But why is the distributor THERE?(sorta long)

----- Original Message -----
From: "T Berk" <bayareaberk@yahoo.com>
To: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: I'm so pumped! It runs...But why is the distributor
THERE?(sorta long)

> --- Jeff Toomasson <area53@validpath.com> wrote:
>

> > Came home today, went out and tested the fuel spray
> > just to make sure and rotated the distro a little.
> > Turned the key and I finally got a pop!
> > I was rejuvenated!  Many more trials netted a
> > decently running setup, but it won't idle (and I
> > have no timing light). The hall sender plug is
> > virtually pinned to the transaxle side of the
> > engine block though (any ideas)?

IIRC, the distributor drive gear has a slot for indexing, so you can pull it
and reset it 180 degrees from where it is.....but before you go mucking
around there, why not:

1. Rotate the crankshaft to the TDC make, as indicated through the flywheel
access hole and per the Bentley
2. Verify that the valve timing is ok....mark on gear should line up with
front edge of valve cover
3. Pull the dist cap and make sure the rotor is pointing at or near the TDC
mark (notch on the edge where the cap seats).  You'll know right away if
it'll line up.  The distibutor should be in a workable position if you have
it mounted right and the timing belt set up right.

If the 180 degree spin doesn't do the trick, you'll have to reposition your
intermediate shaft by loosening the timing belt and getting those marks
right.

Jim